Become a Leader in your field! The Leader Application is an
opportunity for Recognized Museums to demonstrate how they are
taking best practice to the next level. Institutions who are
successful in their Leader Application will have their Recognized
Museum status extended from five years to eight
years and will have the Leader designation added to
their Recognized Museum status.
The Leader Application consists of eight additional pieces
of Evidence that are submitted in addition to the ten pieces of
Core Evidence in the Reapplication.
Ten pieces of core evidence:
- Plan - Strategic or Operational
- Financial Planning - Operating Budget or
- Summary of Community Engagement
- Open to the Public - Accessibility
- Collections Management Policy
- Preventive Conservation
- *NEW* Emergency and Disaster Plan
- Example of Research - one example from the past two years
- Example of Interpretation - one example from the past two
- Example of Exhibits - one example from the past two years
Eight pieces of leader evidence:
- Vision and Values, or Code of
- Example of Fundraising and Fund Development Activity
or Board Orientation Manual
or Annual Report or
Human Resources Policy
- Example of Organizational Relationship
- Museum Visitor Experience Summary
- Conservation Policy or Procedural Manual
for Object Care and Handling or Condition
Report or Conservation Treatment Report
- Research Plan or Research Policy
- Programming Plan or Programming
- Exhibit Plan or Exhibit Policy
Submitting the Leader Application
The Leader Application must be completed online and can
only be completed along with the Reapplication. The link will be
available in the Members Only section of the website beginning on
To help you prepare your institution's application, the
AMA created a workbook outlining the Standards and Minimum
Requirements for each section of the Leader Application. There is
also a PDF of the Leader Application Questions you can use a
RMP Leader Application Questions RMP Leader Application Workbook
Please remember to consult the Reapplication Workbook and Reapplication Questions when preparing that
component of the Reapplication with Leader Application.
The deadline to submit Leader Applications
is November 30, annually.
The AMA offers complementary Draft Review for any Evidence
submitted by September 15. All participants are
strongly encouraged to take advantage of the Draft Review as over
80% of Recognized Museums used this complementary service.
A Review Panel consisting of three Individual Members of the AMA
will assess your institution's evidence and award one of three
possible designations. Regardless of which designation your
institution receives, the Review Panel will provide comments to
help your institution strengthen its practices going forward.
• Recognized Museum Leader
The required Evidence submitted by the institution met all
Minimum Requirements and Standards.
• Conditionally Recognized Museum Leader
The required Evidence submitted by the institution met most
Minimum Requirements and Standards but some minor administrative
follow-up is needed to become a Recognized Museum Leader.
Conditionally Recognized Museum Leaders have eight weeks to
complete and submit revisions.
• Candidate Leader in the Recognized Museum Program
The required Evidence submitted by the institution met some
Minimum Requirements and Standards but several are outstanding. To
become a Recognized Museum Leader the institution must submit
Upgrade Evidence. Candidates have up to three years to complete the
Upgrade Evidence requested. The annual deadline to submit Upgrade
Evidence is October 31.
Click for larger image.